U.S. Embassy Lima now accepts CRBA applications electronically!
This new online feature allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview. Please read below to see if you qualify to apply for a CRBA online.
A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a formal document certifying the acquisition of United States citizenship at birth for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). United States non-citizen nationals are also eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, using the non-citizen option.
CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday. We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.
Eligibility Requirements to Apply for a CRBA Online
To apply, your child must have been born in PERU and you must travel to U.S. Embassy Lima or the Consular Agency in Cusco for the in-person interview.
To be eligible to apply for a CRBA online, you MUST answer all the following criteria with YES:
- Was the child born in Peru?
- Is the child under the age of 18?
- Was at least one parent a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national when the child was born?
- Can you use an internationally accepted credit/debit card or a direct payment method from a U.S. dollar denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”) to pay online for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad application?
- Are you a biological parent of a child born abroad who is applying for that child?
If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you MUST apply by completing a paper application (DS-2029).
How to Apply for a CRBA Online
- To apply for a CRBA online, you need to create a MyTravelGov (a secured, encrypted portal). Watch this video on how to create your MyTravelGov account.
- Once you have created a MyTravelGov account you can access eCRBA and submit your application online. The easy-to-use online process provides applicants with step-by-step instructions on how to complete the application. You may review the necessary documents for the CRBA application in advance by reviewing this CRBA application checklist.
- Once you complete the online application and submit payment, you will then be directed to schedule your appointment at U.S. Embassy Lima. Please schedule your appointment at least 72 hours after payment submission. This provides time for your payment to be processed prior to your CRBA interview. Please Note: Do NOT make another (or duplicate) payment for a CRBA ($100) at the Embassy.
- Attend your scheduled in-person interview with your original documents and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application. The child must be present at the time of application. Generally, both parents also attend the interview.
Please visit our eCRBA FAQ page.