An official website of the United States government

Death of a U.S. Citizen
August 4, 2022


We understand that the difficulty of losing a family member or friend may be compounded by logistical and communication problems when the loss occurs overseas.

The U.S. Embassy in Lima can provide assistance after the death of a U.S. citizen, in the following ways:

  • Locating and notifying the next-of-kin of the decedent.
  • Providing information to families about Peruvian legal requirements and locally resources available for claiming and managing their loved one’s remains and personal effects.
  • Issuing a Consular Report of Death of a U.S. Citizen Abroad.  This document is based on the Peruvian death certificate and may be used in most legal proceedings in the United States as proof of death overseas.
  • Helping prepare the shipment of the decedent’s personal effects to the United States.

The family is responsible for contacting and contracting with a local funeral home in Peru to help carry out funeral arrangements and/or the repatriation of remains to the United States.  The Embassy cannot act as an agent for a U.S. citizen making funeral arrangements and is not responsible for any related costs.  General estimates of these costs are available on the Disposition of Remains Page.

Funeral services and preparations are carried out in accordance with local laws and facilities available in Peru and may differ from what is available in the United States.  Please note that to confirm the relationship between the decedent and the next-of-kin, Peruvian authorities will request identification documents for both the next-of-kin and the decedent, such as passports, birth certificates, or marriage certificates.

Please see below, under Funeral Homes, for a list of funeral homes operating in Perú.

For questions about the death of a U.S. citizen in Peru, please email us at LimaACS@state.gov.

Request a Consular Report of Death Abroad

The American Citizen Services Unit will issue the Consular Report of Death Abroad (CRDA).  This document is issued based on the Peruvian death certificate and can be used in most legal proceedings in the United States as proof of death overseas.

To obtain a CRDA, please send the following documents to LimaACS@state.gov:

  • Clear scanned image or photo of the:
    • Death report issued by RENIEC.  If you do not have one, please let us know.
    • Death certificate issued by the doctor or hospital at the time of death.
    • Identification document/card of the next of kin (i.e., spouse, children, parents, or siblings).
    • Proof of relationship between the next of kin and deceased U.S. citizen (e.g., birth certificate, marriage certificate).
    • Deceased citizen’s U.S. passport.
    • Social Security card or number of the deceased U.S. citizen, if available.
  • Contact information of the next of kin (phone number and email address).
  • A completed DS-2060 form.

The CRDA takes approximately one to two weeks to be issued after all the above documentation has been received.

Funeral Homes

The U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability, reputation of, or the quality of services provided by the following persons or firms.  Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department of State or the U.S. Embassy.  Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance.  The information on the list about services and language ability are provided directly by the companies.

Funeraria Agustin Merino – Mapfre
Tel: (011) (511) 471-9907 / (011) (511) 471-4617 / (011) (511) 470-5343

Repatriaciones Peru Internacional
Jr. Coronel Manuel Gomez 593, Lince, Lima
Tel: (011) (51) 942-850-761 (Spanish) / (011) (51) 999-555-881 (English)
Alexandra G. Diaz Nuñez (Spanish/English)
Alfonso Diaz (Spanish)