An indefinite transportation strike is in effect in multiple locations across Peru and may last for several days. Travelers may encounter roadblocks and demonstrators in Tacna and Arequipa, including the Colca Valley, and should be prepared for the strike to expand into other parts of the country, including Lima, Junin, Ancash, Ica, Piura, Cusco, and Puno. Please be advised that the highway between Arequipa and Lima is currently disrupted, and as a result, the bus terminal in the city of Arequipa is not selling tickets to Lima at this time.
Actions to take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Refer to our website for the latest Alerts and Messages for U.S. citizens.
- U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Avenida La Encalada cdra. 17 s/n
Santiago de Surco 15023, Lima
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Peru Country Information
- U.S. Embassy’s COVID-19 Webpage
- To receive alerts, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Need help? Email: CASTEP@state.gov.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter