Aguas Calientes & Machu Picchu, Cusco, Peru
Protests are currently ongoing by tourists who do not have a ticket and wish to enter Machu Picchu. Roadblocks, traffic congestion, and disruptions to train service along the main routes to and from Machu Picchu may occur. Travelers using the rail line should contact their rail service provider if there are disruptions to their travel. Avoid areas of demonstrations, as protests and demonstrations can be unpredictable and quickly turn violent.
Actions to take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations or roadblocks.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Refer to our website for the latest Alerts and Messages for U.S. citizens.
- U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Avenida La Encalada cdra. 17 s/n
Santiago de Surco 15023, Lima
- U.S. Consular Agency Cusco
Avenida El Sol 449
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Peru Country Information
- To receive alerts, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Need help? Email: CASTEP@state.gov.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter