Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Village) and Cusco, Peru
A general strike is planned from Wednesday, August 24, 2022 in Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Village). While the Machu Picchu site will remain open, train services to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Village) from Cusco and bus service to Machu Picchu have been halted and visitors will need to walk up to the site from the village below. Avoid areas of demonstrations, as protests and demonstrations can be unpredictable and quickly turn violent.
Actions to take
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations or roadblocks.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Refer to our website for the latest Alerts and Messages for U.S. citizens: https://pe.usembassy.gov/
- U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Avenida La Encalada cdra. 17 s/n
Santiago de Surco 15023, Lima
- U.S. Consular Agency Cusco
Avenida El Sol 449
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Peru Country Information
- To receive alerts, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Need help? Email: CASTEP@state.gov.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter