Cusco and Puno, Peru
Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport (CUZ) in Cusco has been closed due to the ongoing civil unrest in the region. Demonstrations and roadblocks continue to affect security and movement in Cusco, the Sacred Valley, and Juliaca, Puno. Do not approach or attempt to drive around roadblocks. U.S. citizens should avoid crowds and follow the instructions of local authorities.
The Consular Agency in Cusco cancelled all scheduled appointments for January 12, but remains responsive to public inquiry and emergency needs. For emergency services in Cusco, please reach out via email at CuscoACS@state.gov or call the U.S. Embassy in Lima at +51-1-618-2000.
The following airports remain closed:
- Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport (CUZ)
- Juliaca, Inca Manco Capac International Airport (JUL)
- Andahuaylas Airport (ANS)
Actions to take:
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Do not attempt to pass through a roadblock.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Follow traffic police instructions.
- Comply with instructions from the Peruvian National Police and local authorities.
- Register in STEP to receive alerts and messaging from the U.S. Embassy in Lima.
- U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Avenida La Encalada cdra. 17 s/n
Santiago de Surco 15023, Lima
- U.S. Consular Agency Cusco
Avenida El Sol 449
+51 84 231474
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Peru Country Information
- To receive alerts, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Need help? Email: CASTEP@state.gov.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter