Demonstrations continue to take place throughout the country, including sporadically in Lima. The Pan American Highway is currently blocked in Ica (km 264) and at Barrio Chino (km 290) where the road turns toward Paracas. Police are prohibiting all vehicular traffic from approaching the roadblocks and demonstrators and U.S. citizens should avoid traveling on the Pan American Highway south of Lima at this time. There are multiple roadblocks limiting movement on the route between Juliaca and Puno, as well as the regions of Puno, Cusco, Madre de Dios, Tacna, Arequipa, and Apurimac. Additional locations throughout Peru may be affected by protests and roadblocks. Monitor news sources to stay informed of any changes.
Actions to take:
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Do not attempt to pass through or interfere with a roadblock.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Follow traffic police instructions.
- Comply with instructions from the Peruvian National Police and local authorities.
- Register in STEP to receive alerts and messaging from the U.S. Embassy in Lima.
- U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Avenida La Encalada cdra. 17 s/n
Santiago de Surco 15023, Lima
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Peru Country Information
- U.S. Embassy’s COVID-19 Webpage
- To receive alerts, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Need help? Email: CASTEP@state.gov.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter