Peruvian airport authorities announced that operations at the Inca Manco Capac Airport (JUL) in Juliaca, near Puno and Lake Titicaca, have been suspended as of the afternoon of January 6 due to the security situation. Travelers should maintain contact with their airlines for updates on rescheduling flights.
iPeru (the Peruvian tourism organization) invites tourists who currently require assistance throughout Peru to register at the following link:
Additional locations throughout Peru may be affected by demonstrations and transportation closures, including roadblocks, which were widespread in December. Movement of U.S. Embassy personnel throughout the country is currently restricted and will remain so during the Peruvian government’s State of Emergency. Monitor news sources to stay informed of any changes, and follow instructions given by local authorities.
Actions to take:
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Do not attempt to pass through a roadblock.
- Carry necessary medication.
- Carry sufficient cash in case of an emergency.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Follow traffic police instructions.
- Comply with instructions from the Peruvian National Police and local authorities.
- Register in STEP to receive alerts and messaging from the U.S. Embassy in Lima.
- U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Avenida La Encalada cdra. 17 s/n
Santiago de Surco 15023, Lima
- U.S. Consular Agency Cusco
Avenida El Sol 449
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Peru Country Information
- To receive alerts, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Need help? Email: CASTEP@state.gov.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter