Demonstration Alert – U. S. Embassy Lima, Peru – July 10, 2019
Location: Nauta, a town in the eastern part of Loreto Province in the Peruvian Amazon, roughly 100 km south of Iquitos. Nauta is a staging area for several ecotourism lodges and boats on the Marañón River, and is adjacent to the Pacaya-Samiria National Reserve.
Event: Indigenous and civil groups are blocking road and river transit in and around Nauta to protest delayed efforts to remediate an oil spill that occurred in June. Fifty-four indigenous federations are also participating in a strike throughout Loreto Province.
Actions to Take:
– Avoid the affected areas and routes such as route 103 between Iquitos and Nauta. Find alternative routes to your destination.
– Monitor local media and government agencies, including iPeru, PROMPERU, COEN, and SENAMHI for updates.
o WhatsApp: iPeru 944-492-314
o Twitter: @Promperu @COENPeru @SENAMHIPeru
– Monitor the Embassy webpage and the American Citizen Services (ACS) Facebook page for updates.
– Keep friends and family informed of your safety.
– Be aware of your surroundings.
U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Avenida La Encalada Cdra. 17 s/n
Surco, Lima 33, Peru
Telephone (answered 24 hours): +51-1-618-2000
Lima ACS Facebook page
U.S. Consular Agency, Cusco
Avenida El Sol 449 Office #201
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
Peru Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter