Location: Lima Metropolitan Area (Plaza 2 de Mayo, Plaza San Martín, Government Palace, and Congress) Arequipa, Cajamarca, Ica, Iquitos, and Ucayali.
Event: Strikes and demonstrations are expected to take place on Thursday, June 20, 2019, throughout the day. The Confederación General de Trabajadores del Perú (CGTP, the largest trade union federation in Peru), joined by various other worker associations, plans to protest government labor policies recently enacted.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the planned demonstration areas and large crowds.
- Monitor the Embassy webpage and the American Citizen Services (ACS Facebook) page for updates.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
- Do not participate or resist if you come in contact with protesters.
- Keep friends and family informed of your safety.
U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
U.S. Consular Agency, Cusco
Avenida El Sol 449 Office #201
Phone: +51 84 231-474
Fax: +51 84 245-102
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444