Locations: Cusco, Machu Picchu, and Puno.
Event: Two agricultural unions announced a national strike on Monday, May 13. To ensure the safety of its passengers, PeruRail will temporarily suspend service from Cusco to Machu Picchu and on PeruRail Titicaca, which connects Cusco with Puno.
Actions to Take:
- Contact your tour agent to make changes accordingly. Train companies are willing to change tickets to accommodate tourists’ safety and needs.
- Monitor the Embassy webpage and the American Citizen Services (ACS) Facebook page for updates.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
- Do not participate or engage if you come in contact with protesters. Peruvian authorities can expel foreign citizens for participating in demonstrations.
Keep friends and family informed of your safety.
U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
U.S. Consular Agency, Cusco
Avenida El Sol 449 Office #201
Phone: +51 84 231-474
Fax: +51 84 245-102
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444