Location: Lima, Peru
Event: The Embassy is aware of the possibility of demonstrations throughout the country and is monitoring the situation. Demonstrations last night were largely peaceful. Access to certain areas may be restricted and there may be a greater police presence. Even nominally peaceful demonstrations and large gatherings have the potential to become unruly without warning.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the Embassy webpage and the American Citizen Services (ACS) Facebook page for updates.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
- Avoid large gatherings. Do not participate or engage if you come in contact with protesters. Peruvian authorities can expel foreign citizens for participating in demonstrations.
- Keep friends and family informed of your safety.
U.S. Consular Agency, Cusco:
Avenida El Sol 449 Office #201
Phone: +51 84 231-474
Fax: +51 84 245-102
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444