Location: Peru (countrywide)
Anti-government activists are planning demonstrations and blockades on Thursday, October 12 in multiple locations across Peru. In Lima, demonstrations are scheduled for 3:00 p.m. at Plaza Dos de Mayo proceeding to the Congress of the Republic building. Additional demonstrations will occur in other regions of the country throughout the day.
Protesters may block main thoroughfares in Lima and in other parts of the country. Heightened security and disruptions to transport and business are likely during demonstrations. Past demonstrations have turned violent and have involved clashes between protesters and police and/or among supporters of rival political parties. The U.S. Embassy advises all U.S. citizens to avoid areas of demonstrations.
Actions to take:
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Do not interfere with or attempt to circumvent roadblocks; travelers have been injured doing so in the past.
- Comply with instructions from the Peruvian National Police, Peruvian Armed Forces, and local authorities.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Enroll in STEP to receive alerts and messaging from the U.S. Embassy in Lima.
- U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Avenida La Encalada cdra. 17 s/n
Santiago de Surco 15023, Lima
- U.S. Consular Agency Cusco
Avenida El Sol 449
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Peru Country Information
- To receive alerts, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Need help? Email: CASTEP@state.gov.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter