Municipal and regional elections will take place throughout Peru on Sunday, October 2.
Based on past events, the U.S. Embassy would like to remind U.S. citizens about the potential for localized protests and demonstrations across the country over the next several days.
The U.S. Embassy recommends all U.S. citizens avoid demonstrations due to their unpredictable nature. Even peaceful demonstrations can be unpredictable and quickly turn violent. Demonstrations are also likely to cause traffic congestion in and around the areas where protesters gather.
Actions to take:
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Keep your phone charged, and carry an ID.
- Comply with instructions from the Peruvian National Police and local authorities.
- Register in STEP (https://step.state.gov/) to receive alerts and messaging from the U.S. Embassy in Lima.
- U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Avenida La Encalada cdra. 17 s/n
Santiago de Surco 15023, Lima
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Peru Country Information
- U.S. Embassy’s COVID-19 Webpage
- To receive alerts, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Need help? Email: CASTEP@state.gov.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter