Location: Cusco/ La Convención, Peru
Event: The Federation of Coca Growers of the Provinces of La Convención, Yanatile, and Lares (FEPCACYL) continue to demonstrate in the La Convención area; demonstrations are likely to intensify. The taxi driver association has indicated they will join the protest. Tourist police report police and protestors have clashed, but there are no reports of tourists being harmed. Restaurants and other businesses in Santa María are closed. Business closures will likely occur in surrounding towns as well. Schools are also closed. All transit to and from Quillabamba has stopped.
Peruvian National Police report there are blockades affecting transit to Machu Picchu in the following towns:
- Santa María
The strike will affect tourists using the alternate route to Machu Picchu through Quillabamba. Local tourism police report travel by motor vehicle tours has been cancelled but independent travelers and backpackers may still hike through the area to get to Machu Picchu. Most tour operators have suspended operations. The Ministry of Culture’s Machu Picchu Extension Office reports tourists who are delayed by the protest can still visit the Machu Picchu archeological site at a later date; however, tourists will not have access to the mountains of Machu Picchu and Wayna Picchu.
Authorities are continuing efforts to resolve the issue.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the Embassy webpage and theAmerican Citizen Services (ACS) Facebook page for updates.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid the area along the route to Machu Picchu through Quillabamba.
- Be aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
- Use extra caution when walking or hiking outside Cusco or at night.
- Do not participate or resist if you come in contact with protesters.
- Keep friends and family informed of your safety.
U.S. Consular Agency, Cusco
Avenida El Sol 449 Office #201
Phone: +51 84 231-474
Fax: +51 84 245-102
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates