An official website of the United States government

Emergency Financial Assistance
May 1, 2022

U.S. citizens sometimes face emergencies while overseas and require financial assistance. In most cases, family or friends can send money directly to a U.S. citizen abroad through Western Union, MoneyGram, or other financial institutions. Consular Officers can also assist U.S. citizens abroad who are temporarily destitute abroad because of an unanticipated emergency by contacting family, a bank, or an employer to arrange for transfer of funds. If this is not an option for you, the Embassy can also receive the money and disburse it directly to the U.S. citizen.

The following links provide more information on Sending Money to Destitute U.S. Citizens Overseas or how the Department may be able to provide Emergency Financial Assistance for U.S. Citizens Abroad.

If you have an emergency and require financial assistance, you can email us at LimaACS@state.gov or call us at 01 618-2000 in Peru.