Location: Peru (countrywide)
Event: Government of Peru Announces New Business Hours and Face Shield Requirements (April 19, 2021)
On April 17, 2021, the Government of Peru announced additional mitigation measures due to high levels of COVID-19 spread.
Starting today, April 19, 2021, businesses in areas of Extreme alert level must now close three hours before curfew. Currently, in Lima and other areas of Extreme alert, curfew is at 9:00 p.m. and businesses must now close no later than 6:00 p.m. In areas of Peru in Moderate, High, or Very High alert, businesses must close no later than two hours before the local curfew.
In addition to face masks, face shields must be worn to enter many establishments, including shopping centers, markets, supermarkets, department stores, and other potentially crowded places.
- For the April 16 message to U.S. citizens, please see https://pe.usembassy.gov/health-alert-updates-to-government-of-peru-quarantine-and-movement-restrictions-april-16-2021/
- For more information on the decree, please see (in Spanish)https://cdn.www.gob.pe/uploads/document/file/1813070/Decreto%20Supremo%20N%C2%B0%20076-2021-PCM.pdf
- For current restrictions, please see (in Spanish) https://www.gob.pe/12365-coronavirus-medidas-para-enfrentar-la-pandemia-segun-nivel-de-alerta-y-region
Actions to Take:
- Always wear your mask outside, wash your hands frequently, and carry a photo ID. Face masks are required by Peruvian law. You may be fined if you do not wear one or do not comply with curfew and quarantine regulations.
- Continue to check https://diariooficial.elperuano.pe/normas for the latest related Peruvian government decrees.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- See the Embassy’s COVID-19 webpage for information about conditions in Peru.
- Visit the CDC Travelers Health Page: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/map-and-travel-notices.html.
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive updates: https://step.state.gov/.
- U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Avenida La Encalada 1615
Santiago de Surco 15023, Lima
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Peru Country Information
- U.S. Embassy’s COVID-19 Webpage
- To receive alerts, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Need help? Email: CASTEP@state.gov.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter