Location: Peru (countrywide)
Event: Travel Advisory for Peru Decreases from Level 4 “Do Not Travel” to Level 3 “Reconsider Travel” (June 9, 2021)
On June 8, 2021, the Department of State announced that the Travel Advisory for Peru has decreased from Level 4 “Do Not Travel” to Level 3 “Reconsider Travel” due to the ongoing situation caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.
Please be aware of the following:
- Because of the current situation in Peru, all travelers may be at risk for getting and spreading COVID-19 variants. The CDC recommends being fully vaccinated before traveling to Peru. The CDC recommends that unvaccinated travelers should avoid nonessential travel to Peru. For more information visit: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-3/coronavirus-peru
- The State Department recommends U.S. citizens reconsider travel to Peru due to COVID-19 and to exercise increased caution in Peru due to crime and terrorism. For more information visit: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Peru.html
- Should you decide to travel, please enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive timely alerts about evolving health and safety conditions. Also continue to monitor travel.state.gov, and our social media platforms (@usembassyperu on Twitter and Instagram) for additional information about the evolving situation.
- Due to local health conditions because of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we are limited in our ability to provide routine consular appointments at the U.S. Embassy in Lima and the Consular Agency in Cusco.
Actions to Take:
- Always wear your mask outside. Face masks are required by Peruvian law. You may be fined if you do not wear one or do not comply with curfew and quarantine regulations. There are currently no exceptions for vaccinated individuals.
- Double masks are required, and face shields are recommended in highly populated indoor areas such as shopping malls, department stores, pharmacies, and grocery stores. You will not be permitted to enter without them.
- Wash your hands frequently, and respect social distancing guidelines.
- Carry a photo ID.
- See the Embassy’s COVID-19 webpage for information about conditions in Peru.
- Visit the CDC Travelers Health Page: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/map-and-travel-notices.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive updates: https://step.state.gov/step/
- U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Avenida La Encalada 1615
Santiago de Surco 15023, Lima
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Peru Country Information
- U.S. Embassy’s COVID-19 Webpage
- To receive alerts, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Need help? Email: CASTEP@state.gov.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter