Health Alert – U. S. Embassy – Lima, Peru – June 13, 2019
Location: Throughout Peru
Event: Peru’s Ministry of Health has reported approximately 466 cases of Guillain-Barré Syndrome in locations throughout Peru so far in 2019, including the Lima Metropolitan area. The Ministry of Health reports that six people have died from this syndrome.
Actions to Take:
– Wash your hands frequently with soap and water to avoid infections.
– If you feel any symptoms consistent with Guillain-Barré Syndrome, such as muscle weakness, rapid heart rate, or difficulty breathing, please visit your nearest health establishment as soon as possible.
– Monitor the Embassy webpage and the American Citizen Services (ACS) Facebook page for updates.
– Monitor local media for updates.
– Keep friends and family informed of your safety.
U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Avenida La Encalada Cdra. 17 s/n
Surco, Lima 33, Peru.
Telephone (answered 24 hours a day): +51-1-618-2000
U.S. Consular Agency, Cusco
Avenida El Sol 449 Office #201
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates