Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 80,000 reported cases worldwide.
On March 13 the Peruvian Ministry of Health announced 28 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the country. On March 11 Peruvian President Martín Vizcarra ordered the postponed opening of all public and private primary and secondary schools until March 30.
The Government of Peru has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Immigration authorities will require all visitors fill out a signed declaration on arrival regarding health status, countries visited, and where they intend to stay in Peru. The Peruvian government has announced a 14-day home isolation policy for visitors from countries of concern; currently this includes Italy, Spain, France, and China, but may include more countries as the situation evolves. Travelers should be prepared for additional travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Visit this Peruvian Ministry of Health page for additional information on COVID-19 in Peru.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions. Review the U.S. Department of State’s information for Cruise Ship Passengers.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for further information on conditions in Peru.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Seek medical care right away if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks.
- U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Avenida La Encalada cdra. 17 s/n
Surco, Lima 33
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Peru Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter