Peru Earthquake – U. S. Embassy Lima, Peru – May 26, 2019
Location: Loreto region, east of the town of Yurimaguas.
Event: A magnitude 8.0 earthquake struck the Loreto region of Peru. Peru’s National Emergency Operations Center (COEN) reports one fatality in the Cajamarca region and 11 injuries so far, as well as isolated power outages and limited infrastructure damage.
Facebook has activated a Crisis Response message with data about the magnitude of the quake, casualty reports, and allowing individuals to mark themselves as safe.
Actions to Take:
– Monitor local media and government agencies, including Peru’s COEN, Tourist Information and Assistance service (iPeru), the Commission to Promote Peru for Exports and Tourism (PROMPERU), and Peru’s National Meteorology and Hydrology Service (SENAMHI) for updates.
- WhatsApp: iPeru +51-944-492-314
- COEN: https://www.mindef.gob.pe/coen.php
- Twitter: @Promperu @COENPeru @SENAMHIPeru
– Monitor the Embassy webpage and the American Citizen Services (ACS) Facebook page for updates.
– Keep friends and family informed of your safety.
U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Avenida La Encalada Cdra. 17 s/n
Surco, Lima 33, Peru.
Telephone (answered 24 hours): +51-1-618-2000
U.S. Consular Agency, Cusco
Avenida El Sol 449 Office #201
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates