The U.S. Embassy in Lima has received reports from the Peruvian National Police regarding potential protests in Chinchero District in the immediate future. Disruptions to transportation services are likely, so Peruvian authorities recommend that tourists carefully consider any scheduled to travel to the Sacred Valley or Machu Picchu. Travelers can contact the Peruvian Tourist Assistance and Information here. http://www.peru.travel/iperu.aspx
Demonstrations in Peru are often peaceful, but can quickly escalate into violent confrontations. U.S. citizens are advised to avoid large crowds and demonstrations and are strongly encouraged to maintain a high level of vigilance related to local events as well as their surroundings, and take the appropriate steps to bolster their personal safety. It is illegal in Peru for foreigners to participate in demonstrations. In the past, U.S. citizens who have been caught up in political demonstrations in Peru have been detained and expelled from the country.
For further information:
• See the State Department’s travel website http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en.html for the Worldwide Caution http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/worldwide-caution.html, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Peru https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/peru.html
• Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program https://step.state.gov/step/ (STEP https://step.state.gov/step/) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
• Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/travelgov and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/travelgov.
• Contact the U.S. Embassy in Peru https://pe.usembassy.gov/, located in Monterrico, a suburb of Lima, at Avenida La Encalada, Block Seventeen. You can call the Embassy at 51-1-618-2000<tel:51-1-618-2000> during business hours, 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday, or dial the same number to reach a duty officer for after-hours emergencies.
• Call 1-888-407-4747 tel:1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 tel:1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).