Safety Alert – U. S. Embassy Lima, Peru – August 7, 2019
Location: Archaeological zone of Kuélap, the 6th-century walled settlement in the region of Amazonas, Peru, near the towns of María and Tingo.
Event: The Peruvian government ordered the temporary closing of the Kuélap archaeological ruins because of an ongoing forest fire.
Actions to Take:
– Avoid the affected areas.
– Monitor local media and government agencies, including Peru’s Tourist Information and Assistance Service (iPeru), the National Emergency Operations Center (COEN), and the Commission to Promote Peru for Export and Tourism (PROMPERU) for updates.
oWhatsApp: iPeru +51 944-492-314
oTwitter: @Promperu and @COENPeru
– Monitor the Embassy webpage and the American Citizen Services (ACS) Facebook page for updates.
– Keep friends and family informed of your safety.
– Be aware of your surroundings.
U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Avenida La Encalada Cdra. 17 s/n
Surco, Lima 33, Peru
Telephone (answered 24 hours): +51-1-618-2000
Lima ACS Facebook page
U.S. Consular Agency, Cusco
Avenida El Sol 449 Office #201
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
Peru Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter