Security Alert: U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Location: Peru (countrywide)
Event: Crime Advisory (January 18, 2022)
The Department of State’s threat rating for crime in Peru remains “Critical” – the highest rating on the threat rating scale. While we enjoy Peru’s offerings and hospitality, unfortunately, there have been recent reports of violent crimes in Lima and other residential neighborhoods, shopping areas, and other spaces. Increasing your situational awareness, avoiding predictable routines, and reviewing general security precautions with your family will significantly reduce your chances of becoming a victim of crime. Unfortunately, however, sometimes even the most alert, security-conscious people are susceptible to crime.
Your actions during and immediately after an incident are crucial to your safety and those around you. Remaining calm and compliant typically deescalates the situation. Giving criminals your valuables is usually the best option to ensure your safety.
Tips to reduce your risk:
- Secure your residence.
- Do not put jewelry or valuables (ex. cell phone) on display in public. Limit the carrying of excessive cash.
- Be aware of scams. Discuss with your family and household staff about unusual phone calls or unannounced visitors.
- Be mindful of your travel routes as navigation apps often route you through unfamiliar areas with potentially higher levels of crime.
- Secure valuables prior to traveling (ex. trunk of your car).
- If taking taxis, use an app-based transportation or a call-in service. If possible, stay in a secure location while waiting for your ride.
- Recognize that criminals often mingle in the presence of street performers, sellers, beggars, and others at traffic lights and congested areas. They also target parking lots, parks, restaurant venues, and similar areas.
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive updates: https://step.state.gov/
- U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Avenida La Encalada 1615
Santiago de Surco 15023, Lima
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Peru Country Information
- U.S. Embassy’s COVID-19 Webpage
- To receive alerts, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Need help? Email: CASTEP@state.gov.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter