Protests and demonstrations continue to affect the Puno region, including Puno city and the area near Lake Titicaca. At times, these gatherings have become violent. Avoid large crowds and remain in safe locations. A 60-day state of emergency remains in effect in the Puno region as of February 5, 2023. Please follow all relevant laws and directions from law enforcement officials.
For emergencies involving American citizens in Peru, please email at LimaACS@state.gov or call +51-1-618-2000.
Actions to take:
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Do not interfere with roadblocks
- Comply with instructions from the Peruvian National Police and local authorities.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Enroll in STEP to receive alerts and messaging from the U.S. Embassy in Lima.
- U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Avenida La Encalada cdra. 17 s/n
Santiago de Surco 15023, Lima
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Peru Country Information
- U.S. Embassy’s COVID-19 Webpage
- To receive alerts, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Need help? Email: CASTEP@state.gov.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter