The Organization of American States (OAS) General Assembly will be held in Lima from October 5-7. The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens of the potential for localized protests and demonstrations near both the Lima Convention Center and on Van Gogh Street in San Borja near the National Museum through Friday, October 7. Street closures affiliated with the OAS General Assembly will likely have a significant effect on local traffic, both near the Lima Convention Center and on alternate routes throughout the city. Accordingly, heavy congestion may occur. The U.S. Embassy recommends all U.S. citizens avoid demonstrations due to their unpredictable nature. Even peaceful demonstrations can be unpredictable and quickly turn violent. Demonstrations are also likely to cause traffic congestion in and around the areas where protesters gather.
The U.S. Embassy would like to inform citizens of the following street closures:
- Avenida Aviacion
- Calle del Comercio
- De la Arqueologia
- Javier Prado (east)
Actions to take:
- Follow traffic police instructions. Leave early and seek alternate routes.
- Keep valuables in your vehicle out of sight.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Keep your phone charged, and carry an ID.
- Comply with instructions from the Peruvian National Police and local authorities.
- Register in STEP (https://step.state.gov/) to receive alerts and messaging from the U.S. Embassy in Lima.
- U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Avenida La Encalada cdra. 17 s/n
Santiago de Surco 15023, Lima
- U.S. Consular Agency Cusco
Avenida El Sol 449
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Peru Country Information
- To receive alerts, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Need help? Email: CASTEP@state.gov.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter