Travel Alert: U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Location: Peru (countrywide)
Event: Travel Advisory for Peru increased from Level 2 “Exercise Increased Caution” to Level 3 “Reconsider Travel” (December 20, 2021)
On December 20, 2021, the Department of State announced that the Travel Advisory for Peru has increased from Level 2 “Exercise Increased Caution” to Level 3 “Reconsider Travel” due to the ongoing situation caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.
Please be aware of the following:
- Because of the ongoing risks due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the CDC advises all travelers to be fully vaccinated before traveling to Peru. Unvaccinated travelers should avoid nonessential travel to Peru. For more information visit: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-3/coronavirus-peru
- The State Department recommends U.S. citizens reconsider travel to Peru due to COVID-19 and to exercise increased caution in Peru due to crime and terrorism. For more information visit: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Peru.html
- Should you decide to travel, please enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive timely alerts about evolving health and safety conditions. Also continue to monitor state.gov, and our social media platforms (@usembassyperu on Twitter and Instagram) for additional information about the evolving situation.
Actions to Take:
- KN95 masks are required. If you do not have a KN95, double masking is mandatory, with one of the masks being a surgical mask, with a cloth mask on top.
- Proof of vaccination is required to enter all enclosed spaces in Peru, including shops, hotels, restaurants, and places of worship.
- Monitor local media for updates. Movement restrictions may be changed unexpectedly and with very short notice.
- Always wear your mask outside. Face masks are required by Peruvian law. You may be fined if you do not wear one or do not comply with curfew and quarantine regulations. There are currently no exceptions for vaccinated individuals.
- Wash your hands frequently, and respect social distancing guidelines.
- Carry a photo ID.
- See the Embassy’s COVID-19 webpage for information about conditions in Peru.
- Visit the CDC Travelers Health Page: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/map-and-travel-notices.html
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive updates: https://step.state.gov/
- U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Avenida La Encalada 1615
Santiago de Surco 15023, Lima
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Peru Country Information
- U.S. Embassy’s COVID-19 Webpage
- To receive alerts, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Need help? Email: CASTEP@state.gov.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter