Transmitting Citizenship

  1. Eligibility for a CRBA
  2. Transmitting Citizenship

In order to transmit U.S. Citizenship to your child you must be a U.S. Citizen before the birth of the child.  If you became a U.S. Citizen after the child was born there are other options but they are not handled by the American Citizen Services unit.  Please contact United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for more information.

Transmission of U.S. citizenship depends on:

  • at least one parent having the nationality of the United States at the time of the child’s birth,
  • the existence of a blood relationship between the child and U.S. citizen parent(s); and
  • documentary evidence demonstrating the U.S. citizen parent(s)’ presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth, as specified under Step 2, below.

How to Apply for a CRBA (Consular Report of Birth Abroad)

  • Form DS-2029 (PDF 104 KB): Application for Consular Report of Birth
  • Child’s Original Peruvian Birth Certificate:  This is the Peruvian birth certificate issued by RENIEC.  The document must show the parents’ names.
  • Certificate of Live Birth:  This is issued by the clinic/hospital at the time of birth.
  • Pre-Natal and Post-Natal Medical Evidence: This can be the mother’s pregnancy book/records issued by a doctor, clinic, or hospital.
  • Evidence of Parents’ Citizenship and Identity: Your current passport is the preferred form of proof.  Your U.S. birth certificate or naturalization certificate is also acceptable, but you must also present photo identification.
  • If you are married, we need to see your original certificate issued by local, state, or national government authorities. If married in the United States, please provide a state certificate issued by the civil authorities.
  • If you have prior marriages, we need to see your original divorce decree, annulment, or the death certificate.
  • Proof that the U.S. citizen parent has lived in the United States long enough to transmit citizenship to his/her child.  How long is long enough?  That will depend on whether the parents are married, and whether one or both is a U.S. citizen.  For detailed information, please refer to the Eligibility for a CRBA page.  Some examples of documentary evidence which may be considered to demonstrate that physical presence requirements have been met may include (but are not limited to):
    • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
    • Academic transcripts
    • Employment records
    • Rental receipts
    • Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated).
    • U.S. passport stamps may be considered a part of the evidence submitted, but should not be the sole documentary evidence. Drivers’ licenses do not constitute evidence of physical presence.

    If you have other children who have been issued with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, this may be considered as supplemental evidence. Please also read important information regarding Supporting Documents.

Please remember to bring all required application forms and documentation with you to the appointment.  If you do not, you may be required to schedule a new interview.  Please bring the original and a photocopy of each document.

In order to provide better customer service to our smallest clients, all applications for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) will be made through our special family appointment system.

Before making an appointment, you must review the Embassy’s policy on access and prohibited items.

To schedule or cancel an appointment, please click here.

  • Both biological parents and the child are required to come to the interview.
  • The fee is US$100.00.  Payment is made on the day of the appointment, at the Embassy.  The fee can be paid in cash (in U.S. Dollars or Peruvian Nuevos Soles), or with a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, or Diner’s Card).  We are not authorized to accept personal checks, money orders or banker’s drafts.
  • Applicants should appear 15 minutes before the appointment time, in order to clear security.