Death of a U.S. Citizen

The U.S. Embassy in Lima serves the families of U.S. citizens who die in Peru.

We can help:

  • Locate and notify the next-of-kin of the deceased
  • Inform families about the Peruvian legal requirements for claiming a loved one’s remains
  • Provide information on locally available resources that can assist families in managing their loved one’s remains and personal effects
  • Assist in shipping personal effects to the United States.

In addition, the American Citizen Services unit will issue 20 copies of the Consular Report of Death Abroad.  This document is issued based on the Peruvian death certificate, and this document can be used in most legal proceedings in the United States as proof of death overseas.

To prepare this document, Embassy staff will need the following:

  • Death certificate (RENIEC)
  • Doctor’s report with cause of death
  • U.S. passport of the deceased citizen
  • Identification and contact information for the next of kin (i.e. spouse, children, parents, or siblings)
  • Proof of relationship between the next of kin and deceased U.S. citizen (i.e. birth certificate, marriage certificate)
  • Social Security card or number of the deceased U.S. citizen, if available
  • The completed DS-2060

It is critical that families hire a funeral home to help them carry out funeral arrangements.  The Embassy maintains a list of funeral homes that have been used by U.S. citizens in Peru.  Funeral services and preparations are carried out in accordance with local laws and facilities available in Peru, but in some cases they may fall short of those expected in the United States.  Please email for a list of local funeral homes.

The next-of-kin is responsible for all costs of the funeral home, and/or shipment of remains or personal effects.  General estimates of these costs are available in the Disposition of Remains Report here (PDF 84 KB).  Please be aware that Peruvian authorities will often request identification documents for both the next-of-kin and the decedent, such as passports, birth certificates, or marriage certificates.

For questions about managing the death of a U.S. citizen in Peru, please email us at