Your photo is a vital part of your passport application. Review the information below on how to provide a suitable photo to avoid passport processing delays. The acceptance of your photo is always at the discretion of the U.S. passport agency. We recommend you use a professional passport photo service to ensure your photo meets all the requirements. Note: Unlike visa photos, must be 2″ x 2″ (51 mm x 51 mm) in size with a background that is uniform, plain and white, and free of shadows.
If you are applying for a U.S. Passport, you must provide one (1) photo. Your passport photo must be:
- Printed in color
- Printed on photo quality paper
- Sized correctly
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size
- Head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
- Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
- With a neutral facial expression and both eyes open
- Taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis.
- Uniforms should not be worn in your photo, except religious clothing that is worn daily.
- Headphones, wireless hands-free devices or similar items are not acceptable in your photo.
- You cannot wear a hat or head covering.
- Do not wear a hat or head covering that obscures the hair or hairline, unless worn daily for a religious purpose. Your full face must be visible, and the head covering must not cast any shadows on your face.
- You cannot wear glasses.
- If you cannot remove your glasses for medical reasons, please include a signed note from your doctor with application.
Review the Passport Photos page to see examples of acceptable and unacceptable photos. Photos copied or digitally scanned from driver’s licenses or other official documents are not acceptable. In addition, snapshots, magazine photos, low quality vending machine or mobile phone photos, and full-length photographs are not acceptable.