Victims of Crime

The American Citizen Services section can assist you in replacing your U.S. passport.

One of the first things you should do in the event of a robbery or theft is to report the loss to the police.  The police report is essential in order to replace your Peruvian entry stamp from Peruvian Immigration, and may be needed for any insurance claims that you may make.

See the State Department publication Help for American Victims of Crime Overseas.

Financial Assistance

One of the fastest ways to obtain cash is by Western Union wire transfer from a friend or relative in the United States.  Western Union offices are located throughout Peru, and the transfer time is only a matter of minutes in most cases.  More information can be found on their website or by calling 1-800-325-6000 from the United States.

More information about sending money to U.S. citizens overseas is available here.

Under certain limited circumstances, the Embassy can make emergency loans to assist destitute U.S. citizens to return to the United States.  Please see more detail on our Emergency Financial Assistance page.

Scams in Peru

If you have been contacted to send money to a loved one in Peru, please see the link below first!  Criminals commonly attempt to scam money from travelers’ family members by posing as the traveler and claiming to be in trouble.  To learn more about this and other scams, please see the Department of State Fraud Warning.