Temporary Replacement of a Lost/Stolen Green Card

Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) who have lost their LPR cards and/or reentry permits and need travel documentation to return to the United States can file Form I-131A with the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Lima.


You may apply for travel documentation if you are an LPR and:

  • You are returning from temporary international travel of less than one year and your Permanent Resident Card (also known as a Green Card or Form I-551) has been lost, stolen, or destroyed.
  • You are returning from temporary international travel of less than two years and your reentry permit (Form I-327) has been lost, stolen, or destroyed.

We will measure the length of your absence from the United States from the time you departed the U.S. to the time you pay the fee for filing Form I-131A.

If you are an LPR with an expired Green Card, you may not need to file a Form I-131A. You should check with your airline or vessel before filing a Form I-131A.

Although regulations generally require an LPR to travel with a valid Green card, CBP policy permits a transportation carrier bound for the United States to board an LPR without carrier documentation if you:

  • Are an LPR who has an expired Green Card that was issued with a 10-year expiration date, or
  • Are an LPR with an expired Green Card with a two-year expiration date AND you also have a Form I-797, Notice of Action, for Form I-751 or Form I-829 to remove the conditions on your permanent resident status. The Notice of Action extends the validity of the Green Card for a specified length of time, generally 12 to 18 months.

Travel Document Appointment:

To schedule an appointment to file the Form I-131A for travel documentation, please send an e-mail, including your name, to LimaIV@state.gov with the following subject line: “I-131A– YOUR NAME”.

On the day of your appointment, please bring the following to the Embassy:

  • A printed copy of your appointment confirmation e-mail.
  • Completed Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document.
  • Proof of the $575 online fee payment for filing Form I-131A (such as a printed copy of your payment confirmation page or a printed copy of your emailed receipt).
  • Valid passport.
  • Two identical 2 x 2 inch photographs, which meet visa photo requirements.
  • Police report regarding the loss of the LPR card, if applicable.
  • Evidence of LPR status (such as a copy of LPR card), if available.
  • Evidence to demonstrate that you have not been outside the United States for more than one year.