Location: Peru (Entire coast from La Cruz to Ilo)
Event: Tsunami Alert (March 4, 2021)
The Peruvian Navy issued a tsunami alert for the coast of Peru, due to an earthquake of 8.1 magnitude that occurred on Thursday, March 04, 2021 near New Zealand.
According to the Peruvian government, a tsunami may reach the Peruvian coast anywhere from the ports of La Cruz (north) and Ilo (south) between 03:31 and 03:44 hours on Friday morning, March 5.
Tsunami waves reaching 0.3 to 1 meter above the tide level are possible, according to the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Please stay alert to information from local authorities and the media regarding restrictions near coastal areas.
For more information (in Spanish): https://www.gob.pe/institucion/indeci/noticias/344941-sismo-de-gran-magnitud-en-oceania-genera-alerta-de-tsunami-para-el-litoral-peruano.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid all Peruvian coastal areas.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Follow instructions of local authorities.
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive email updates: https://step.state.gov/
- U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Avenida La Encalada 1615
Santiago de Surco 15023, Lima
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Peru Country Information
- U.S. Embassy’s COVID-19 Webpage
- To receive alerts, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Need help? Email: CASTEP@state.gov.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter