The Government of Peru announced the potential for continued flooding and mudslides in the following regions in Northern Peru: Tumbes, Piura, Lambayeque, Cajamarca, Amazonas, Ucayali, Ancash, Huánuco, and Puno.
Persons living in areas prone to flooding are urged to take preventive actions, stay away from streams and rivers, reconsider crossing through standing bodi3es of water of unknown depth, and be attentive to the recommendations of local authorities. POLCAR (Highway Police) of Salitral reports traffic is restricted on Canchaque-Huancabamba road.
There is a blockage on the Sullana-Paita highway.
In Ancash the following routes are blocked:
- Via Caraz – Chimbote (Cañón del Pato)
- Caraz – Chimbote Road, (Huarochirí – Chuquicara)
- Via Huarmey – Casma (Panamericana Norte), Puente Sechín – Río Loco, Km 376, vehicles are passing through alternately.
In Cajamarca, the following roads have been affected due to the heavy rains:
- Chilete – Ciudad de Dios: Km 58+930 to Km 59+210, Yonan sector.
- Cochabamba – Chota: Km.127+200 – 127+270, Peña de los Loros sector.
- Dv. Chilete – Emp PE 3N: Km. 19+525 – 19+600, Sangal sector.
The Huánuco – La Union Road, Jacas Chico sector has seen interruptions in traffic.
Prior to traveling to tourist destinations in the region, please check ahead of time to see if they are open with iPeru (https://www.peru.travel/en/useful-data/iperu).
The Juliaca airport operations suspended.
Actions to take:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Carry proper Identification, including your U.S. passport with a current (country) visa.
- Have an evacuation plan that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Enroll in STEP to receive alerts and messaging from the U.S. Embassy in Lima.
- U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Avenida La Encalada cdra. 17 s/n
Santiago de Surco 15023, Lima
- U.S. Consular Agency Cusco
Avenida El Sol 449
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Peru Country Information
- To receive alerts, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Need help? Email: CASTEP@state.gov.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter